Tuesday 17 July 2012

The passage of time


I got my reward the other night for sticking with a hard book to read.
(No not 50 Shades of Grey shite)
For the past few months I have been struggling through Virgina Woolf's To The Lighthouse.
The draw to the book was not the title or the cover but the strange and mysterious author.
Now To The Lighthouse is not a difficult read, it is a small book. But the story line is certainly not gripping and so I find it difficult to lay aside time to dedicate to it.

But I was rewarded last night – the chapters entitled 'Time Passes' were jewels you do not find in contemporary books. Beautifully, lyrically, written it has been swirling around in my head all day. And it has me pondering on the general subject of time.


This weekend I will unite with a best friend who I have been separated from for over 18months as a result of her emigration. A lot has happened over the year and a half.
I started to think about how those changes have affected me and in turn our friendship.


Also what do you pick to talk about and what do you throw away. Do we keep the conversation positive, talk about the things that make us smile and laugh or do we tackle the things that make us cry?
Do we take the recap chronologically? Event based? Maybe go along with a theme – love/ loss/ embarrassing moments?!

Or do we just forget the catch up and live in the present?

No comments:

Post a Comment